At Grace Lutheran College, we recognise that all students have gifts and talents and require stimulating and challenging learning programs. We also recongise the unique learning and personal needs of gifted and academically talented students.
Our Academic Enrichment Department identifies and oversees students who are:
• Intellectually gifted
• Demonstrate high levels of academic talent for their age within a given field or subject.
There are 3 core elements to the Academic Enrichment provided at Grace:
Ignite Excellence Programs
& Co-Curricular Opportunities
Bright Minds Festival
These 3 elements cater for the distinct and individualised needs of both gifted students and those with specific academic talent in a given subject area.
• The Academic Enrichment Program provides plans and provisions for gifted students that encompass their academic, social, emotional and organisational issues;
• The Ignite Excellence Programs offer specialised extension classes for highly talented students in a range of subject areas.
BRIGHT MINDS FESTIVAL
Bright Minds Festivals are an annual event dedicated to primary age students. Designed to inspire, engage and unite bright young minds, participants have the opportunity to register to a range of workshops and activities.
The list of workshops on offer each year is extensive and often includes flying drones, cooking candy, writing creative stories, experimenting with chemical reactions, coding robots, tennis, sports science, hands-on building tasks and more. The Bright Minds Festival strives to showcase to students that a world of opportunities exists at Grace Lutheran College – no matter what their interest or area of talent.
IGNITE EXCELLENCE: PROGRAMS
With specialised classes and curriculum programs designed to meet the needs of these highly able students, the Ignite Excellence Programs offer a world of opportunities for your child.
The College’s signature Ignite Excellence Programs are: • IGNITE EXCELLENCE: STEM Program (Year 7) – our introductory Mathematics and Science enrichment program for Year 7 students. This extension class commences and trials the Advanced Mathematics Program and the Ignite Excellence: Science Program to ascertain which students might be suitable for those programs long term. Entry into this program is by application.
• IGNITE EXCELLENCE: Literature Program – an advanced English class in Years 7 to 10 with a curriculum designed for lovers of reading and writing. Incorporating a range of rich and diverse texts, this program prepares students through Middle School to take the subject of Literature or English Extension when in Senior School. Entry to this program is by application.
• IGNITE EXCELLENCE: Advanced Mathematics Program (Years 8-12) – an advanced Mathematics class with a compacted or accelerated curriculum. There are two pathways available in this program. Pathway 2 offers the opportunity to complete Year 7, 8 and 9 Mathematics in just two years before moving onto Senior Mathematics. Pathway 1 allows for differentiated learning within the current year level of Mathematics. Entry to this program and its pathways is by application.
• IGNITE EXCELLENCE: Science Program – an enriched Science class in Years 8 and 9 where students are provided with additional extension of content and/or scientific enquiry (as needed) before they move into Senior Science Subjects in Year 10.
• IGNITE EXCELLENCE: GAME ON! Music Program– an advanced music program offering young musicians tuition in a second instrument, and a world of additional performance opportunities. Entry to this program is by application and audition.
Information packages and application forms for the Ignite Excellence Programs can be found by clicking the links above.
IGNITE EXCELLENCE: OPPORTUNITIES
• IGNITE EXCELLENCE: Robotics Program – a world of opportunities available for students who desire to both excel in the area of Robotics and to connect with industry leaders in this ever expanding field. Students are able to become involved in a range of robotics opportunities throughout Years 7 to 12 at the College.
• IGNITE EXCELLENCE: Flexible Learning Pathway – For students performing at a State, National or International level in their field of talent, a flexible timetable and/or assessment programs can be arranged to meet their training or rehearsal schedules. The Flexible Learning Pathway can also be utilised for students where grade acceleration to a higher Year Level is appropriate within a particular subject/s.
The College also supports a wide range of extra-curricular opportunities, excursions and competitions for highly able students including the National Youth Science Forum, Bond University Mooting Competitions, Vice Chancellor STEM Camps at QUT, SPARQ-Ed Science Immersion Programs, Griffith University’s Equity Program, ICAS Testing, Regional Mathematics, Literature and Science Competitions, State, National and International Robotics Competitions and more.
Year 11 and 12 students also have the opportunity to pursue subjects offered externally from universities such as University of Queensland, Queensland University of Technology, Griffith University, University of the Sunshine Coast, and University of Southern Queensland.
Enrolments 2019 & Beyond:
Discover the Grace Way and how your child can develop into a respectful, caring and responsible young adult.